Sunday, December 24, 2006

Drunken (but justifiable) Response:

OK, so I don't mean to pick on anyone in particular, but someone had this response to my latest posting: "kinda depressing, Life isn't that bad, don't you think each generation has it a little better than the one before it? Technology keeps improving, we get more and better stuff, we can keep in touch even though we are so far apart, we all have computers, we are all richer." And YES, I admit this is all true... However, this leads me to another topic: The Poverty Line. You know, that creapy little thing that keeps moving forward despite the fact that those who live along it aren't working any harder. I'm not saying the less-fortunate people should be forced to move to places of opportunity; I'm just saying that those who refuse to move should give up thier right to complain. I live in the world of opportunity where high-school drop-outs make 75k/yr. It's a beautiful thing, but people forget that those of us making decent money EARN it... Now everyone thinks they deserve a slice of the pie without lifting a finger (something to do with thier forefathers???). This is why I have paid 35 G's in taxes this year... So that even those lying on the couch all day can enjoy the luxury of "more and better stuff... computers...." and simply be "richer" than the previous generation. If you ask me running water is a luxury none of us should be taking for granted or be expecting to get for free. And don't get me wrong... I don't mind lending a guy 50 cents for a bar of soap to get washed up for his job interview, but I do fully expect to get that 50 cents back at the end of the week when he gets his first check. I'm also fully willing to take down this "government" of ours to get back my 35k if I have any followers. Oh, and by the way...... Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Before I left work for the Christmas break, I pulled out my latest pay stub. You know, the one I never look at because I am now up over $1000 in deductions every two weeks and it just sickens me to face that.

Anyway, the line I was interested in was TOTAL TAXES. About 90% of this was federal tax. I'm not sure what that pays for - health care for people who don't buy their own insurance? Roads for people who don't want to pay tolls?

So far this year, I've paid $23,282 in taxes. I don't know about the rest of your readers, but that's more than I used to earn in a year. You know, back before I paid my way through university, paid my dues at entry-level jobs, moved to the land of opportunity and worked my way up the ladder. My reward is that the government gets to decide how to spend an ever-expanding chunk of my salary.

If you have ideas about how we could change this, I'm with you.

Anonymous said...

You might find some solace here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrlWRKUrLBc

Dad