Friday, December 29, 2006

Health-Care Copycat

OK, so I'll admit that I'm copying this topic from my sister's blog, but any mention of taxes makes my blood boil. Not that I don't believe taxes are needed (to a certain extent), but I hate the corrupt systems they are funding & perhaps the biggest waste is in this Canadian "Health-Care System", although I must say I enjoy the ideology that anyone can see a doctor for "free".

Firstly I must add that I was turned away from doctors' offices in Newfoundland because they were "not accepting any more patients". I fail to comprehend how this could happen, since as I am a taxpayer, I had already paid for thier services which they were now denying me. This also throws a spoke into the supposed Health-Care-for-all system which is said to be in place.

The primary problem with the system is that when people think they are getting something for free they tend to stuff thier pockets, so the person with his pockets already full keeps grabbing at the same rate as the person with nothing. By this I mean that we have people booking unimportant appointments and getting in on the same wait list as those with real problems.

If your gonna make me pay the doctor to put a bandage on my sore thumb, perhaps I'll decide to put the bandaid on myself and save my money for when I break my leg and actually NEED a doctor's attention. Perhaps I'll see if Tylenol Cold&Flu can cure me before spending $ on a doctor. The one that gets me most is the school requirement that a student must get a doctor's note for missing classes. There's better things to spend tax dollars on than paying for a doctor (who does deserve his 250k/yr) to write notes for kids skipping class.

Ahh... Wait a second! I was just thinking to myself "I'd never want to 'leave a guy out to dry', letting him carry on with a treatable illness" when I realized there probly isn't a Canadian out there who hasn't walked past that bum on the street without throwing him a coin. I likely pay enough money towards health care to take 3 bums off the street each year. We all walk by that guy with disgust thinking "get a job". So why should I feel remorse for telling people to at least pay for a portion of thier doctor bills? I'm SAVING before I have a child... Saving for clothes, food, and junior hockey equipment. It would suck to have to pay the hospital during childbirth, and would suck even more to pay for any complications should they arise, but I certainly don't expect YOU to pay for it!

1 comment:

Megan said...

You are exactly right that our health-care system encourages misuse. When things don't have a direct cost, we think nothing of using more. It is no different than the open bars you sometimes see at weddings. If I'm paying for Screech and coke, I'll have two and be perfectly happy. If someone else is paying, I'll have five. And a round for the table!

Does it make me un-Canadian to admit that I don't give cash to beggars? The government has already taken my money and chosen to spend it on social programs. I figure that I've already given the guy a dollar for his cup of coffee: in fact, there's a full pot down the street at the government-funded shelter. I've also paid for a social worker to help him with whatever he might need. If he wants to go to university, don't worry: I've already paid his tuition AND given him a living allowance. It's up to him to study. Or should I do that, too?